Sunday, May 19, 2013
Week 7: Learner autonomy and one-computer classroom
Honestly this has been the most relaxed week so far. We had some readings about the two above main topics. For the discussion on Nicenet, I opted for Learner autonomy.
I think the most striking idea when talking about learner autonomy is that shift from man "product of his society", to man "producer of his society". Unfortunately the learning system is often so inappropriate that ultimately the product is a 'person who has been taught to fear failure above all and therefore to refrain from potentially rewarding risk-taking or innovative behavior'.
So I think we have to help our students be more active. For this they need to take charge of their learning. This responsibility can't be taken as long as they don't have enough intrinsic motivation.
The other activity was to find and post a link( reading, video or message) on the class padlet site about how this tool could be used to enhance learner autonomy. I have posted an ELT research paper on computers and learner autonomy: trends and issues written by Huw Jarvis and published by the British Council. With Padlets one can share files anywhere online. For instance you can have your students paste their work and this will appear instantly.
As far as the project task 5 (continued), like all participants who are teaching this term I have been implementing my blog in my class. However because of the second term exam I didn't have the opportunity to work with them. They say that they are too busy these days. I am going to meet them tomorrow in the computer lab, however. Another interesting step this week wast o choose our partners with whom we are going to share our project task by next Wednesday.
This week has been interesting because of the discoveries I made on learner autonomy and Padlets.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
ReplyDeleteHello Elias! Hope you are well! Your post is great! I totally agree with you that this week was the most relaxed! Both discussions were very useful. And the most interesting was Padlet. It was my first experience. What about you?
You have already chosen your partners. I saw your photos with your students. I am glad you have already started to implement technology tool - a blog for your class. I hope everything goes well! I wish you success in preparing your final project!
Best regards
Gulnar
Hey Gulnar,
DeleteI am good thanks. I hope you are fine too. I really liked the Padlet as it was my first experience too. It was great but I wonder how it will be implemented when dealing with large classes. If everybody has to post his their work there might be some mess.
Thank you for your lovely attention to what I have been doing. I am too busy writing the project. Thank once again and I wish you good luck too.
Elias
Hi Elias,
ReplyDeleteHow are you doing. I hope that everything is Ok.
You are right, this week was less stressing. I saw your work with your class in the photos that you posted last week. It is really wonderful. I congratulate you for the great effort. I would like to work this project with my students too, but unfortunately they are not available at this time. So, I have to provide a plan for what I am going to do with the course.
I am looking forward to see your final project. It seems interesting.
Keep up the great work!
Khadija
Hey Khadija,
DeleteI am fine, thank you and I hope it's the same for you. We've been very busy. Thank you for the compliments. I also commend your extraordinary participation in the course with very brilliant ideas.
Thanks
Elias